Making sure that an event is successful depends on how well it is planned. With the right techniques, any event can be organized and run smoothly. To ensure success, here are some tips for planning a great event:
1. Anticipation – Plan ahead to avoid last minute surprises and issues. Make sure to consider all aspects of the event, from the logistics to potential conflicts that may arise. Prepare for any contingencies and have a plan in place should something unexpected happen. When hosting your event at the Vox Theatre you have the option to have your built in set-up hours as soon as the day before your event. This provides extra time to tackle any last minute tasks that may have been overlooked. We also have a walk-through meeting typically about 30 days from your event date to discuss all of the event details to try to avoid any last minute surprises.
2. Arrival – Make sure that guests feel welcome when they arrive at your event. Have clear signage directing them to their destination, provide friendly staff or volunteers if necessary, and offer snacks or drinks for them upon arrival. Not only are guests greeted by Vox venue signage, but the venue rental also includes two off-duty KCK police officers who act as parking attendants for your guests. This results in a smooth entrance as guests arrive for a great night. The included event host is present two hours before the event start time to greet and instruct the vendors. This means you have the choice to arrive with the rest of the guests and enjoy yourself just the same!
3. Atmosphere – Set the tone for the event with an appropriate atmosphere. Think about decorations, lighting, music, and any other elements that will contribute to the overall feeling of your event. The natural beauty of the Vox Theatre takes care of the ambiance for you! With the standard overhead festoon lighting, vaulted tin-pressed ceilings, and original character that is the Vox, most of the decorating has already been done! We can also color match the up-lights along the walls to really bring any color scheme to life!
4. Appetite – Provide food and beverages that will satisfy your guests’ appetites and match the tone of the event. For larger events, it may be necessary to hire catering services or enlist volunteers to prepare food and beverages. Since the Vox Theatre is an open vendor facility you are able to work with any licensed and insured caterer that you prefer. Choose from our list of preferred vendors, or elect to do the food yourself; Here you have the option to purchase a COI for the day and be your own caterer. You are also permitted to provide all of the alcohol for your party; Just need a bartender to pour & serve it up. We can help staff this position for you if need be!
5. Activities – Plan entertainment and activities that will keep guests engaged throughout the event. Have a selection of games, performances, speakers, or other activities that your guests can enjoy and participate in. The private outdoor patio at the Vox allows for so many fun options! Bring in your own yard games or rent our giant Jenga or corn-hole. One past wedding brought in a beer pong table and held a tournament to determine who would sign the marriage license as the witness! More recently, there was an entire "carnival hour" held in the space complete with cotton candy, snow cones, and pretzels during the typical "cocktail hour". The options are endless! Also, never underestimate the power of a good DJ! Sure, you can create an epic party playlist, but there's more to it than that; A DJ acts as your "MC" or Master of Ceremonies. So yes, playing good music is a huge part, but a good MC will keep the timeline in mind as they announce when tables are released for dinner service, get the energy up and people out on the dance-floor, declare last call, and most importantly, announcing the new couple to their guests!
6. Amenities – Make sure you have all the necessary supplies and amenities that may be needed for your event. Ensure there are enough chairs, tables, plates, cups, napkins, and other items available for guests to use throughout the event. All of the tables and chairs are included when you rent the Vox Theatre. We will make a custom floor plan for YOUR event and when you arrive for those three hours of set-up time, tables and chairs are already arranged according to YOUR approved floor plan. This makes your set-up a breeze; Simply pop-on centerpieces and be ready to party! At the end of the night, you are only responsible for removing any items brought in (decor, left-over food/alcohol, etc.). The breakdown of all tables and chairs is also included.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your event is a success! From anticipating potential issues to providing amenities and activities, careful planning will make all the difference in creating a memorable experience for your guests. Good luck!
The great news is that Vox Theatre is here to help you in the planning process. Trusting us with your event means you are in expert hands. Always remember that communication goes a long way when it comes to hosting a memorable event! Letting us know what you need for the most successful event ahead of time allows your hosts to do their very best to make it happen!
Vox Theatre Event Space; "Remarkable Events Happen Here!"
This post is intended for educational purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. All images, content and information are credited to their respective owners. This post does not represent any institution or organization mentioned herein. Content credit to Hello Glow; Bolded text is contribution from Vox Theatre.
Katelyn Duesterhoft is the Venue Manager at the Vox Theatre Event Space. This Texas native enjoys experiencing Kansas City hot-spots with her fiance, Daniel. When she gets a rare spare moment, you'll find her painting or creating in her basement art studio.